Single Herb Glossary
Bái Zhǐ 白芷
|Pharmaceutical name||Angelicae Dahuricae Radix angelica root|
|Category||Warm, Acrid, Release the Exterior|
|Key Properties||Aromatic, warm, Releases the Exterior
Opens orifices (especially the nose)
(frequently used for Wind Cold frontal headaches)
|Tropism||LU, ST, SP|
|Actions & Indications||1) Expel Wind, Eliminate Damp, Unblock Nasal Passages, Alleviate Pain (Yang Ming Headache)
2) Reduces swelling, expels pus (sores and carbuncles)
3) Expels damp & alleviates Discharge (vaginal discharge)
4) Other Uses: with Gan Cao for ulcer
|Contraindications (TCM)||Febrile disorders, Yin Deficiency or Heat in the Blood.
Once a sore has ulcerated, the use of this herb should be tapered off.
|Chemical Composition||Coumarins (oxypeucedanin, imperatorin, isoimperatorin),
byak-angelicin, byak-angelicol, anhydrobyakangelicin, neobyakangelicol, oxypeucedanin hydrate, phellopterin, xanthotoxin, scopoletin, byakangelicin hydrate,
xanthotoxol, isooxypeucedanin, cnidilin, pabulenol, essential oil 0.24% (methylcyclodecanc, l-tetradecene)
|Pharmacological Effects||• Antibiotic: decoction has inhibitory effect against E. coli, Bacillus dysenteriae, Bacillus proteus, Salmonella typhi, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Vibrio cholerae, Mycobacterium tuberculosis hominis, and Shigella spp
• Anti-inflammatory: decoction has marked anti-inflammatory effects in mice; administration of 4g/kg effective in treating otitis media in mice
• Analgesic and antipyretic: decoction at dosage of 15 g/kg demonstrated significant analgesic and antipyretic actions in mice; 8 g/kg slightly less effective than 15 g/kg
• Antispasmodic: various components have marked muscle-relaxant qualities; Scopoletin showed marked antispasmodic effect on the uterus in mice with ED50 of 0.09 mg/kg
• Other: in laboratory animals, affects cardiovascular system by lowering heart rate and decreasing blood pressure, excites the respiratory system to increase depth of breathing, also stimulates nervous system; mild hemostatic effect
This information is a reference tool for Chinese herbal studies. It is not intended to replace professional medical advice. Please consult a primary health professional if you require health advisory.